Film Summary CCXLII (The Evil Dead)

Is it fair to call Evil Dead the most talked-about movie in history. In reality it's not. I'm sure the Godfather or the Matrix gets talked about significantly more. But evil dad just has such a charm to it , and you don't need me to tell you. Everyone that seen Evil Dead knows how good it is.

This upsets me a little bit , because like so many other people I get excited by the idea of watching evil dead. And then I think to myself; 'Hey why not talk about the movie I just watched.'' But then I sit here and nothing; absolutely nothing comes to mind. What am I supposed to say?** Do I tell you about the story, cinematography, the fantastic makeup effects or the overuse of smoke.

I guess I can talk about how this movie disproves ''There are no HP Lovecraft films out there'' myth. When push comes to shove the flesh book is the Necronomicon*. Or at least some variation of it.
It dose get me thinking though.
So we are informed that the ancient book was originally written in Sumerian . Which is a ancient Old World Language, much like ''Egyptian''. So does that mean that the Mormons are right. Did Joseph Smith really get an answer from that angel.
Because if you can get the Sumerian language in the Americas then reformed Egyptian doesn't sound so ridiculous.

Honestly my favorite thing about the original Evil Dead is the immediate setup. It gets to the point incredibly quickly . Ash and his friends find the recording and summon the Demons almost immediately. The effects of the Demons are felt by everyone within 20 minutes, this means you don't get to stagger about with the community and one character believing the mess and everybody else thinking they're insane . Only to discover later on that they were right from the beginning and we should have been working against the evil force to begin with.
Now I get that you can make the argument with the girl who got molested by the trees . she did go insane and everyone else kinda didn't believe her. But then none of these kids come off as all that bright.

So I might be eating my words later, but I think I like Evil Dead more than Evil Dead 2. I love the simplicity and that almost down to earth feeling that it has. You could almost believe that this is taking place with in the real world.

Out of all the things to make more Evil Dead stories about. Why do we never get to see the background to the archaeologist. It's clear that he's the one that discovered the monsters, wrote down the book and then had to deal with killing his own wife. So you would think that somewhere down the line somebody would have said ''let's make the origin story to the Evil Dead.'' Unless this has been done in the television show of which I have not seen.
*I know it's called the Naturom Demonto And for some reason we are informed that it's in reference to the ''Book of the Dead'' . Which is an Egyptian holy book that's been bastardized in most forms of media. The Egyptian Book of the Dead has very little to do with incantations or summoning. Really it's about how to prepare yourself for the afterlife, so that you may be in better service to the gods. Because you better believe that when you die in the Egyptian Faith you don't go off too Sheol, Heaven, Hell or even to a weird part of the pergatreo , you've got work to do.


**That was the first sentence I wrote down, clearly I'm full of crap.

Comments