Well it's as bad as everyone thinks it is. and that's saying something considering those people never actually watch the Garfield movie, and if you're like me you've most likely forgotten it from the first time you've seen it.
This is the most paint-by-number story you could possibly make. Protagonist has a cozy life, protagonist has his life turned upside down by a new guest, new guest gets all the glory, protagonist gets rid of a guest and thus feels guilty about it. Now he must go on an adventure to retrieve the guest and make a new friend. Just watch Toy Story!
CGI Garfield is... strange. He doesn't blend in with the real world, but at the same time he doesn't look cartoony enough to be friends with Roger rabbit. Still he has a better treatment than his cat companion, at least CGI Garfield was made with human interaction in mind. He'll never look real but your brain can kind of live with it. He has just enough shadow that he doesn't look like a vampire. Kind of looks like he should be in the ''Bug's Life'' film (not good enough for Toy Story though)
Why of all people that they have a Stephen Tobolowsky as the main villain. For that matter why did they have a villain? It's Garfield! His life is the most mundane thing ever known to man. Really just having Oddy around should have been the freaking drama. Still to get back to Stephen, why does he have a job where he's involved with cats if he has horrible allergies to cats? It's just contrived crap. and it doesn't make for an interesting plot.
Then you have a Breckin Meyer trying to play Jon Arbuckle, he's supposed to come off as dorky. But he just acts like a board in-different man. Probably because he's a bored in-different man. I wonder how much money he got for this stupid film.
God knows it made enough at the box office. 50 million to make (which is ridiculous.) Over 200 million dollar profit or to be precise a hundred million dollar profit once you take the movie finances and double it for advertiseing.
You notice Oddy is a completely real dog in this movie. It doesn't look anything like the cartoon. and despite the fact that I'm generally A Garfield fan over Oddy (in the comics,) the movie should have ditched that horrible CGI Cat and just kept the dog. I'll watch a dog Adventure, I mean sure there stagnant and there's about 50 million of them on the market but what's one more? Maybe you can mix him in with Beethoven's 5th.
Oh God they had another close-up of the blue point Siamese again. and he supposed to be Nermal! My ass that's Nermal, he's just a recoloring of Garfield. He should literally be Garfield as he is in this film just coloured gray (maybe give him some eyelashes that make you think he's a girl for 5 years.)
Then later on we see Garfield's girlfriend cat, it's the same problem uncanny valley facial feature.
Okay I'm wrong, Oddy sometimes is CGI and he looks absolutely atrocious. Dancing to an outdated rap jingle that nobody gave a crap about.
way to make sure your move stays fresh thought out the ages.
The number one problem with this film is; ''Garfield talks way too freaking much.'' At no point does he ever decide to shut his Gob and just let the scene play out. I suppose they couldn't actually animate the damn cat to do anything or maybe they couldn't be bothered. They must have paid Bill Murray* It's every other lazy cash-in for kids. You just keep the protagonist talking and the kid can't get distracted and run amok in the theater.
I'm sorry but am I supposed to believe that a clean-shaven Breckin Meyer would have a hard time getting a date. My ass he would have a hard time, the guys ridiculously attractive if nothing else you have a bunch of gold diggers or one night stands.
There'd be an interesting Garfield film ''Jon Arbuckle Playboy: Why don't you come and pick my pu...)
The jokes would write themselves. Which is more than I can say for this freaking movie.
But really the biggest crime of the movie is it's boring. and it's odd because the original Garfield comics are not exciting either. But they're a different kind of doll they're dry humor where is this is just bad humor.
Will Jon and Liz get together? Of course they will and who gives a crap about them the movies about Garfield or at least you think it's supposed to be.
*It's the Jim Carrey effect. If I'm the major head of the studio and I've decided to let the director higher on this ridiculously overpaid actor I'm going to want to see him used as much as humanly possible in the film. Just to make sure I get my money's worth out of him, sometimes this can be a detriment to your film, in fact most times it's a detriment to your film, hence the Jim Curry analogy.
This is the most paint-by-number story you could possibly make. Protagonist has a cozy life, protagonist has his life turned upside down by a new guest, new guest gets all the glory, protagonist gets rid of a guest and thus feels guilty about it. Now he must go on an adventure to retrieve the guest and make a new friend. Just watch Toy Story!
CGI Garfield is... strange. He doesn't blend in with the real world, but at the same time he doesn't look cartoony enough to be friends with Roger rabbit. Still he has a better treatment than his cat companion, at least CGI Garfield was made with human interaction in mind. He'll never look real but your brain can kind of live with it. He has just enough shadow that he doesn't look like a vampire. Kind of looks like he should be in the ''Bug's Life'' film (not good enough for Toy Story though)
Why of all people that they have a Stephen Tobolowsky as the main villain. For that matter why did they have a villain? It's Garfield! His life is the most mundane thing ever known to man. Really just having Oddy around should have been the freaking drama. Still to get back to Stephen, why does he have a job where he's involved with cats if he has horrible allergies to cats? It's just contrived crap. and it doesn't make for an interesting plot.
Then you have a Breckin Meyer trying to play Jon Arbuckle, he's supposed to come off as dorky. But he just acts like a board in-different man. Probably because he's a bored in-different man. I wonder how much money he got for this stupid film.
God knows it made enough at the box office. 50 million to make (which is ridiculous.) Over 200 million dollar profit or to be precise a hundred million dollar profit once you take the movie finances and double it for advertiseing.
You notice Oddy is a completely real dog in this movie. It doesn't look anything like the cartoon. and despite the fact that I'm generally A Garfield fan over Oddy (in the comics,) the movie should have ditched that horrible CGI Cat and just kept the dog. I'll watch a dog Adventure, I mean sure there stagnant and there's about 50 million of them on the market but what's one more? Maybe you can mix him in with Beethoven's 5th.
Oh God they had another close-up of the blue point Siamese again. and he supposed to be Nermal! My ass that's Nermal, he's just a recoloring of Garfield. He should literally be Garfield as he is in this film just coloured gray (maybe give him some eyelashes that make you think he's a girl for 5 years.)
Then later on we see Garfield's girlfriend cat, it's the same problem uncanny valley facial feature.
Okay I'm wrong, Oddy sometimes is CGI and he looks absolutely atrocious. Dancing to an outdated rap jingle that nobody gave a crap about.
way to make sure your move stays fresh thought out the ages.
The number one problem with this film is; ''Garfield talks way too freaking much.'' At no point does he ever decide to shut his Gob and just let the scene play out. I suppose they couldn't actually animate the damn cat to do anything or maybe they couldn't be bothered. They must have paid Bill Murray* It's every other lazy cash-in for kids. You just keep the protagonist talking and the kid can't get distracted and run amok in the theater.
I'm sorry but am I supposed to believe that a clean-shaven Breckin Meyer would have a hard time getting a date. My ass he would have a hard time, the guys ridiculously attractive if nothing else you have a bunch of gold diggers or one night stands.
There'd be an interesting Garfield film ''Jon Arbuckle Playboy: Why don't you come and pick my pu...)
The jokes would write themselves. Which is more than I can say for this freaking movie.
But really the biggest crime of the movie is it's boring. and it's odd because the original Garfield comics are not exciting either. But they're a different kind of doll they're dry humor where is this is just bad humor.
Will Jon and Liz get together? Of course they will and who gives a crap about them the movies about Garfield or at least you think it's supposed to be.
*It's the Jim Carrey effect. If I'm the major head of the studio and I've decided to let the director higher on this ridiculously overpaid actor I'm going to want to see him used as much as humanly possible in the film. Just to make sure I get my money's worth out of him, sometimes this can be a detriment to your film, in fact most times it's a detriment to your film, hence the Jim Curry analogy.

Comments
Post a Comment