Elvira is a really enjoyable character. I like her kooky sentiments, her silly ideas and her overall demeanour.
And of course she's got a really Kick-Ass costume as well. And I don't just say that because her bazoongas are half hanging out all the time. The only thing that comes to my mind every time I see those is; ''How in God's name are you keeping those things in?'' I'm going to assume either some form of industrial strength glue or a bra made of the same material that's coursing through Wolverine skeleton.
Anyways I bring up my positivity to Elvira because I really don't like this movie. I don't like how its setup. I don't like the stupid Midwestern town that feels like it's two thousand years worth of Footloose no dancing laws and I just don't care for the silly / annoying milquetoast American culture portrayed in this movie.
It's a little too weird and slapstick for my liking. That doesn't really mingle well with Elvira . She should be dealing with a more realistic middle-class America, made up of a bunch of pretentious jerks who never want to have fun.
And then have them intermixed with the weird plot where a guy wants to obtain Elvira's Aunts cookbook so he can perform some sort of ritual magic summoning. Because that's what this movie turns into.
It's a big magical wizard movie but it has to deal with 40 minutes of Middletown America and stupid montage is around a jealous women and horny men.
Speaking of sexually inappropriate man. This film is filled with them. Now on the one hand I'm not bothered with some of the over top characters like say The Big Texan who pops up the beginning of the film propositioning Elvira for a blowjob to keep her job. It's horrible, but it's done just in the right way that it becomes comedic when she beats the ever-living hell out of the guy and then decides to leave her job inserts a brighter pastures.
Not only was there a point to it in the story but it made for an entertaining moment.
Then you have other moments where a group of guys are breaking into her house looking for the cookbook that this other guy wants that contains all the magical powers. And one of the men says ''I didn't find the cookbook. But I found her edible underwear.'' And then tries to eat them.
This part is just straight-up up disgusting. There wasn't any reason to have this in the movie and now you turns to bumbling idiots (who were already perverted) into complete and utter sickos. The only thing that would make me happy in this film is if they both caught on fire and got sent to the same Dimension as the cenobites.
This film feels like it was made 1/2 for children and 1/2 for adults. You have all the sexual metaphors and insinuation mixed in with Elvira's overall tough image and disposition towards ''normal'' society. But then you mix it in with a silly magical witch story and the aforementioned Footloose scenario of a bunch of kids breaking out of the mold and just having a bit of fun.
It just feels disconnected and weird. I suspect this whole thing would have done better if it was done as a short television show episode or even maybe a hour-long presentation.
There's something that works here, I just think it lingers on too much. And it becomes incredibly difficult to watch.
At least for me.
Maybe this kind of movie works for you but I just can't get into it. It reminds me too much of those 'Back to the Future' films or 'Ghostbusters'. Everything's very zany in that 1980s sense and I can only deal with so much of that. Which is kind of funny given that I can watch movie after movie of 70s exploitation without batting an eye.
I guess that's the difference in taste.

Comments
Post a Comment