Film Summary DCCCXVIII (Air Force One)

 


Air Force One is one of those movies I Remember Loving when I was younger. 

A good old-fashioned 90s Harrison Ford political thriller. So wouldn't it be a bit of a shock if I decided to re-watch that movie and discovered that one. I've never actually seen this film before and two it's awful.

Well hello it's just an awful old time. As that's exactly what happened. For one thing I thought Harrison Ford was going to be a secret service operative working to defend the president or take down the bad guys on the plane. You know a die-hard situation only with a guy who's supposed to be more skilled professional. Maybe he's on his retirement or he's supposed to be a paper pusher kind of person. And then needlessly kits rolling back into the action. So many interesting angles, but no Harrison Ford is the president (haha President Ford! that alone makes me unable to take this seriously).

And he, the leader of the Free World is going to liberate his own plane from a group of radical ex-East German Communists or something like that. 
I don't know, we had a strange obsession with German bad guys again in the 1990s and late 80s as we realized the Soviets were a crumbling entity and we weren't gung-ho on murdering everyone in Western Asia just yet. 
So we decided to go back to the old German enemy. But will put a spin on them so we can have fun with the communist angle. 
That part's fine I guess, but I just can't take the super cool action president. I mean at the time it was Bill Clinton and he was a joke and every president since then has been kind of lame as well. 

I don't know. I seem to be the only one that has this problem as most people tend to enjoy the movie. 
But I just can't care. 
Perhaps I'd give it a shot again one day, but for the most part it's just a highly generic action thriller and there's something about it that makes me incredibly disinterested in it. 

Could you imagine if the Russians did this. Super action Boris Yeltsin. And if they played it straight! 
It would be horrible and we'd call it a piece of disposable propaganda not worth wiping one's own shoes.

This whole experience makes me upset. I keep re-watching these old thriller movies from the 80s and 90s movies I used to love and now I'm either annoyed by them or bored. 
'The sum of all Fears' was one of my favourite films when I was a young teenager. Now it makes me go to sleep. This movie it turns out was a complete Fabrication in my own head.

I didn't even explain the story of this movie. 

Terrorists (or Freedom Fighters you can make your own judgment there). Take over a government plane in an attempt to bargain the US president for financial gain.. Or some sort of political support. I honestly don't remember their original intention. All I know is their plans kind of fail and they end up having to fight Harrison Ford. But I think his daughter is involved somewhere down the line. 
Just watch Die Hard, save yourself the trouble. Or perhaps The Fugitive. I remember that being a good movie. 
God I hope that's still a good movie.

Comments