Film Summary DCCCXXVII (Rocky)



It's the start of my holiday film series. 
In where I watch two different series of movies during the holidays and see how they stack up against each other as the film's progressed.
Last year it was 'Die hard' and 'Death wish' with a surprising turn of events given that Death Wish (the lackluster) turned out to be superiuor to Die hard in the long run. 
But this time around I wanted to go with Rocky. One of the best characters of one of the most interesting filmography. 
Problem is I couldn't really think of what else to compare it with. So I guess I'll cross that road when I get to it.

God I love Rocky. 

Like unapologetically it's just one of the best freaking movies. And so much of it doesn't revolve around boxing. 
It's just Rocky and his strange interactions with all his friends, colleagues, potential enemies and the weird Side Story involving some sort of gangster Punk that honestly could have stolen the entire movie but doesn't. 
Like think about it, this could have easily become a movie where Stallone's Rocky tries to make it into the big time boxing ring but is weighed down by criminal interests. Or the monster who gave him $500 after hearing about his opportunities against the heavyweight champion of the world comes back and tries to get his money from Rocky. Or some other weird side plot involving criminal problems. 
But it's not in here. 
It's just a minour aspect of the movie to show us Rocky's life. 
The guy who hires him to lean on people is perfectly reasonable with him. Hech, he's borderline nice at certain points. 
What other movie from the 70s would do that? Not too many, they'd go for the easy story. 
Also Stallone as an acting man! 
Like when I think Stallone I think action star, movie star. A man of Charisma but who's acting ability is.. Well less than average, let's put it that way. 
But my God he's just so good here. 
His body language, demeanor, Style. His very presence is just so captivating and strange and yet heartwarming. 
He's kind of a sloppy weirdo who if played by anyone else would just be completely unlikable. 
But Stallone finds a way to make it work. I

Wish I had more to say about the original Rocky. Everyone's had their piece on it, it's a great film.
I mean just the set up alone. 
Apollo Creed has to find a gimmick match to make up for all of his advertisement campaign for a former fighter. 
And he just goes with Rocky simply for the namesake. 
Only to get his teeth knocked in when he realizes the guy is a proper fighter. It's a great concept and it works really well. 
And then you've got one of the weirdest romantic stories between Rocky and Adrian and my lord does Talia Shire give a performance here. She might be even better than Stallone. The strange chemistry between the two of them is just phenomenal. And that's what's so much of the movies about too. Just a very strange but oddly heartwarming Romance.

Comments